Skip to Content Skip to Navigation
Profile image for Jon Wood

Jon Wood
97 Posts Posts & Replies 56 Following 20 Followers Search
food, weight loss

If GPT and other LLMs are trained on the Internet, and an increasing chunk of the internet is generated by GPT and other LLMs, does that mean we’ve created an AI that’s going to get gradually stupider as time goes on? Is this in fact not the beginning of AI, but the best it’s ever going to be?

I’d love to see the wall of my next door neighbour’s living room. Judging by the hour or so of drilling every weekend I can only assume it’s entirely covered in pictures.

I really need to find a way to effectively back off social media use for a while. I just spent 90 minutes doing nothing but rotating between apps, when I’d been about to go to bed and read instead. Recommendations would be very welcome, I’ll be starting with some decent screen time restrictions, which currently only apply to Twitter.

Jon Wood boosted

Nearly 800,000 Maryland license plates now advertise an online casino.

Back in 2012, the state of Maryland decided to commemorate the War of 1812 with a license plate that displayed a URL. (Once upon a time, I had one of these on my own car.)

Motherboard reports that Maryland no longer controls the URL, and all of those license plates are now linking to an online casino in the Philippines. Oops!

Jon Wood boosted

I saw a lot of awesome things today, but the most metal by far was a Kenyan community group describing how they protected their forest by destroying the equipment of charcoal producers.

The forest is still standing today.

I demand to know why we live in the boring cyberpunk future, rather than the fun one where we're all running around with these bad-boys on our wrists.

Me: `mkdir -p /path/to/directory`
Computer: `/path/to/directory: No such file or directory`

I think I might just give up on today and skip straight to the week off.

Zelda has achieved the impossible by presenting me with two boss fights in a row which I not only didn’t hate with a passion, but even quite enjoyed. 10/10.

Woke up this morning after a dream with a head full of things that needed doing at work. Sat up, then realised it was 6am, and I no longer work at the company I had a head full of things that needed doing for.

Jon Wood boosted

Genie: I’ll give you one billion dollars if you can spend 100M in a month. There are 3 rules: No gifting, no gambling, no throwing it away.

SRE: Can I use AWS?

Genie: There are 4 rules.

Oh good, its mental health awareness week. Brace for a week of being told how doing a bit of colouring in and listening to recordings of waterfalls will solve all your ills.

Just got a promoted tweet announcing the product I'd been working on before leaving my last job (in itself, a rebrand of what I'd been doing for years before that). Really weird to see something in the wild I was once so deeply involved with, and yet am now almost completely disconnected from.

Is there any greater feeling than when you first see a system you’ve been working on for an extended period working end to end?


Can we do away with quiet coaches on trains and instead have one or two dedicated to the people who are going to spend the whole journey loudly having boring phone calls so the rest of us can avoid them?

I love Hannah Fry's weekly slot on Radio 6. Currently hearing about Donald Knuth creating Latex on national radio.

Attempted to play Star Citizen, spent 15 minutes trying to escape my room, and then had the camera go absolutely mad on trying to interact with a lift control. Never found my spaceship.

I guess I'll be reattempting this at some future date when I have energy.

UK Politics

I am once again asking for project planning software with error bars on the timelines.

I’m watching The Rig, a passable super natural thriller series on Prime. Really enjoying that 60% of the set appears to be made out of shipping containers. The other 40% is fluorescent light bulbs.

Did someone change the UK’s timezone without telling me? Just had last orders called at 9pm, and then when we got to the other nearby pub it was also closed. Now in the bar attached to a Beefeater/Premier Inn because it’s the only place open.

Edited 223d ago

Went out to get barbecue stuff, so of course by the time I walked out of the supermarket it was raining.

I've just been reminded of my occasional fear that I'll be convicted of a crime I didn't commit because I'm so bad at remembering what I've done. If the police were to ask me what I was doing on the evening of 12th February this year I wouldn't have the faintest idea.

Once again I have responded to having had a proper night’s sleep and so having energy by staying up too late. Thus continues the boom/bust cycle which is my mood.